DanniMae

Danni Mae

I'm a NY-born blogger living in Southern Alabama. I love to read YA, Dytopian, and general fiction.

The Divorce Papers

The Divorce Papers - Susan Rieger Review also on DanniMae.com (which is why it's so personal).

The Divorce Papers was a book that immediately interested me and I was so excited to find out it was on Camellia! It was the first book I started on the Bout of Books Read-a-Thon… annnnd… yeah. Here I am, reviewing it two weeks later. Needless to say, it wasn’t as good as I was hoping.

Mostly, Cole and I just had fun with the title.

Me: *Going to renew our car tags* Cole, I’m going to the Court House once this downloads to my kindle.

Cole: What is it?

Me: The Divorce Papers.

Cole: You’re going where with what?!

The fun continues at work!

Cole: Danni, Missy won’t believe you’re reading The Divorce Papers!

Me: It’s true, Missy. I’m currently in the middle of The Divorce Papers.

Missy: I don’t believe it! You two are so good together!

Rebecca: Aren’t you two not even married yet?

Me: I like to be prepared like that.

And finally..

Cole: Weren’t you going grocery shopping?

Me: I’ll leave and be out of your hair the second I finish The Divorce Papers.

Cole: I’ll go with you!

Me: Uhh.. that’s not really how divorce works.

Cole: Divorce? I thought we were talking about a book all this time.

Needless to say, we had fun with this one. Which is maybe why it took me so long to read. But that could also be due to the fact that it was so…. legal…y..

As both the title and synopsis state, The Divorce Papers is written with… you guessed it.. Divorce Papers. That means a lot of legal court verbatim and TONS of numbers. This, I suppose, was meant to make it more realistic, but to me it was just a lot of skimming hoobery joobery. The only real writing you get in The Divorce Papers was the emails sent to and from Sophie, the main character. I liked her fine enough, and the people she knew, but there was just one thing that bugged me about her: everyone loved her.

I’m never going to tell someone who they can and can’t love, but having a damsel-in-distress but also somehow “shark” of a lawyer with a million lovers just doesn’t cut it for me. Throughout the course of the book, there were only two people that didn’t like Sophie (and you’d know if there were more; she seems to be the type of person that needs to be loved and would whine about it in an email if someone showed distaste for her): Kahn, the opposing lawyer who’s considered a scumbag by everyone and then gets suspended because how can someone who doesn’t love Sophie not be a bad businessman? And Fiona, who- reasonably- disagrees with Sophie, a criminal lawyer, working on a divorce case and then has everyone jump down her throat to save poor Sophie from criticism. Shark lawyers are fragile things, don’t-cha-know.

So no.. That didn’t float my boat.

But other than that, I did like all of the characters in The Divorce Papers, particularly the client’s daughter, Jane. (Who seems too smart for an eleven year old but now I’m just nitpicking.) Overall, it wasn’t a completely entertaining read but it did have some very thoughtful points and I would recommend it to anyone going through a divorce as a semi-interesting way to learn about the shiz they’re about to get into.