DanniMae

Danni Mae

I'm a NY-born blogger living in Southern Alabama. I love to read YA, Dytopian, and general fiction.

Starters

Starters - Lissa Price
Starters is set in a world that is imaginative and unique, and it's really satisfying to see someone take an interesting idea and turn it into a great story. In a world that has such an interesting tweak to it, like the ability for the elderly to take on the bodies of the young, it's uncommon to see the story and characters mix so well with the idea, which is what would have attracted you to the book in the first place. At risk of sounding too much like I'm quoting Goldilocks, some books have a good world-idea like this but it's utilized far too little- Graceling, for example- some books have a great world-idea but overexpose it to the point where the story revolves around the world and not the characters- Divergent, for example- and some books do it just right. Like Starters.
Note: This isn't to say I didn't thoroughly enjoy both Divergent and Graceling, because I did, I just think they didn't do the main-world-idea thing as well as Starters.
Aaaaaaaanywho, Starters was interesting and compelling from beginning to end, and had a writing style that really flowed and was easy to understand, but not overly simple. The main character, Callie, was believable and likable, and the plot itself was fast paced and active, but didn't sacrifice character development and good interactions in favor of plot progression.
The only thing about Starters that really irked me was the resolution. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't go into too much detail here, but everything just seemed too easy to solve, and then everything was better. I feel like in a dystopian, fixing the main issues of the world should be a challenging struggle and take a lot more time and thought than what was put into the ending of Starters. I suppose this is the sort of thing I should reserve judgement on until I've read the next book in the series, Enders, though.
In the end (the end of Starters, ha) Starters was thrilling and unpredictable with a few big plot twists that really put me in Callie's world and make me think about what I would have done in her situation. It was a great read, and I'm looking forward to Enders.